Having a handheld massager is excellent for quick and cost-effective stress relief in the comfort of your home. But how often should your sessions be? Is it safe to use the massage gun every day?
Generally, it is safe to use the massage gun daily. If you work out regularly, you can use it for up to 2 minutes per muscle group two to three times a day.
However, the best advice is to follow what the manufacturer recommends. That way, you get the most benefits without overdoing your treatment.
Also, you should observe your body’s response after using the massage gun.
To make it easier to decide, here’s a short guide on how frequently you should use your handheld massager.
How Often Should I Use a Massage Gun?
While it is okay to use the massage gun every day, the frequency and duration of your sessions could still vary.
Some would use it more often as they work out daily. Others need it only after a busy week at work.
Or those with chronic pain may require less frequent massages for better benefits.
Ultimately, it all depends on your goals and preference. But whichever massage schedule you follow, the key is not to overdo it.
Remember, percussion therapy penetrates deep into your muscles enough to stimulate blood circulation and all sorts of body effects.
And you have to follow the massage time limit so as not to injure yourself or exacerbate any existing musculoskeletal condition.
Here’s a general guide on how long and often you should use your massager.
About 2-3 times per workout session
If you exercise regularly, you can use a massage gun every day to warm up or cool down your body.
It’s also handy mid-workout for tackling sudden cramps or pain.
However, it is best to focus the massager on the muscles you intend to exercise.
Also, spend no more than 2 minutes per muscle group. You can follow these recommended massage therapy durations:
- For pre-workout: use the massager for 30-40 seconds on your target muscle to boost muscle flexibility. Warming up the muscles this way also protects you from pain and injury.
- For mid-workout: use the massager for 10-15 seconds to reawaken or reactivate your target muscles. It helps you avoid muscle spasms and finish your workout session successfully.
- For post-workout: use the massager for 2 minutes or less on your target muscle. A massage gun session after exercise can reduce the effects of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and speed up recovery.
- For full-body workouts: use the massager for 15 seconds to 2 minutes per muscle group. Then limit your total massage time to 15 minutes.
Check out my previous article for more info on how to use massage guns before and after exercise.
About a few times weekly for relaxation
You can use the massage gun even if you do not live a highly active lifestyle. After all, spending long hours in the office can still result in muscle stiffness and pain.
Massage guns can help your muscles relax and warm them up to flush out toxins that have built up.
Quick massage sessions can also improve your sleep so you can perform better at work.
But in this case, you don’t have to use the massage gun every day. You can start with a twice-a-week routine before bedtime, say, once every three days.
Then, make your sessions more frequent, depending on what feels best for you.
To ease muscle tension, spend about 10-30 seconds body area. It’s best to keep the massager moving to avoid going overboard.
Once a week after a strenuous activity
Intense activities can make muscles tight. Some people may also experience this issue even with mid-level tasks.
In that case, a once-a-week percussion massage is enough to stretch and loosen those muscles. This frequency should keep them relaxed.
The massage should help the muscles recover faster, too. For particularly tight muscles, you can massage them more frequently.
But always stick to the 2-minute massage time limit per body area or muscle group.
You might be feeling those muscle knots due to inactivity, too. So, you might want to start moving around more or do light exercises to reduce body aches.
Once every other week for some massage benefits
Some people are not into regular massages. Perhaps, they find them a little too taxing on the body or exhausting on their end.
Also, some extra-busy individuals do not have time to use a massage gun every day.
The good news is that you can still reap the benefits of a massage even if you have it less frequently.
So, a massage gun session once every 1 or 2 weeks should be good for your schedule and health.
Doing it on a comfy bed or couch with soothing music is perfect for a lazy weekend!
How Should I Use a Massage for Maximum Benefits?
Using a massage gun every day or occasionally may be beneficial. But learning how to use it properly is also needed for a better percussion massage experience.
Here are some helpful tips.
- Find a comfortable spot for your massage. A massage table is always the best choice for a relaxing massage. But, since you’re doing it at home, a comfy bed, couch, or chair should do. You can also sit or lie down during your massage, whichever works for you.
- Use the right massage setting and attachment. Check your manual, then find the right massage setting and head to your target muscle. Ideally, start with a low level and adjust as you see fit. Experiment with different massage strokes and angles if you like.
- Move the percussive massager to different body areas. Do not put any downward pressure while using the massage gun. Instead, let it glide over the affected muscle. Move it to a different spot to avoid putting too much stress on one body part.
Handheld massagers are a godsend, especially for those who need regular massages and quick stress relief at home.
But, while using a massage gun every day is generally safe and 100% beneficial, the frequency can still vary depending on your activity and preference.
Also, limit your sessions to 2 minutes per muscle group only to make the most of your massager. Follow the instruction manual, or consult your doctor first if needed.
Lastly, look for a good-quality massage gun with various speed levels and massage heads.
That way, you can always get that perfect percussive massage treatment!
The care and maintenance of a handheld massager involve regular cleaning, safe storage and proper charging. Occasionally, it may need lubrication and battery replacement, too. Make sure to read the manual’s instructions for this. Also, choose a massage gun wisely, and pick one from a reputable brand with good after-sales service.
You can use a massage gun for your at-home cellulite treatment. Deep pulses and vibration from this device can enhance your circulation and lymphatic drainage and break down fat for absorption, resulting in less dimpled skin. The improvements won’t happen overnight, though. But regular percussive therapy plus an active lifestyle can eventually improve your skin.
- How to Work the Arms on Stationary Bikes (5 Ways) - 5 January 2024
- Should You Use a Treadmill Before or After Weight Training? - 4 January 2024
- 10 Low-Carb Rice Alternatives That Aid In Weight Loss - 13 December 2023